(click image to enlarge)
The Squero di San Trovaso is a small boatyard that is situated on the corner of the Rio dei Ognissanti and the Rio di San Trovaso. It is in the Dorsoduro district of Venice, and close to the quayside known as the Zattere. Established in the seventeenth century, it is the oldest of three remaining boatyards in the city producing traditional wooden gondolas. Behind it stands the church of San Trovaso, dedicated to the fraternal Saints Gervasius and Protasius, and also Saint Chrysogonus. The current church was probably designed by Palladio’s pupil, Francesco Smeraldi, known as Il Fracà, following the collapse of the nave of the previous building in 1583.