(click image to enlarge)
St Andrew’s church was predominantly built in the second half of the 15th century and later restored in the 19th century. In this painting St Andrew’s tower, built in 1446, appears above and behind Mells Manor, built the 16th century for Edward Horner. Two thirds of the house was demolished around 1780 and the remaining third was restored by Sir Edwin Lutyens (a close friend of the Horners), around the time of this painting. Lutyens designed a Loggia with Tuscan columns and updated the interior to include new bathrooms and kitchens, as well heating and electrics. He also designed the gateposts in 1925 and several memorials within the church and village.