(click image to enlarge)
Following the outbreak of the Second World War, the Slade School of Fine Art, under the Professorship of Randolph Schwabe, shifted its operations from London to Oxford. There it shared premises with the Ruskin School of Art, and Schwabe ran the amalgamated school with Albert Rutherston, the Ruskin Master of Drawing.
During his sojourn in Oxford, Schwabe made watercolours of the surrounding countryside , including the present one of the village of South Hinksey, which is immediately to the west of the city. It shows three houses in Manor Road, South Hinksey: Nos 1 & 3 (to the left) and No 7 (known as Stonecroft). Schwabe has taken a little artistic licence with Stonecroft, in terms of the dimensions of its windows and other features, and has somehow made it look even more impressive than it does in reality. At the time, it was the home of Clement Cyril Carter (1875-1949), a geography lecturer at Oxford and the author of several books.