William B Hough (1829-1897)
William Hough is best known as a painter of flowers and fruit, in imitation of the work of William Henry Hunt, though he also produced landscapes.
Between 1848 and 1860, William Hough was living at 6 Swanswell Street, Hill Fields, Coventry, and from there sent works to exhibition in London, including the Royal Academy and the Royal Society of British Artists. By 1853, he had joined Coventry School of Art, and was working successfully as assistant master. This may have enabled his move to 1 Derby Terrace, Lower Ford Street, in 1860. Two years later, he was doing so well that the school committee nominated him as Head. However, when the Department of Science and Art discovered that he was uncertificated as a teacher, he was made to take an examination; and, when he failed it, he was dismissed, despite a remonstrance from his loyal students.
This setback may have made Hough decide to focus on his art. By 1867, he had moved to London, and settled at 38 Cambridge Road, Kilburn. A decade later, he was sending works to exhibition from his framer, Cole Brothers, 2 Percy Street, Bedford Square. By 1879, he was working, and possibly living, at 22 Newman Street, in the artists' quarter north of Oxford Street. By 1890, he had settled at 185 Prince of Wales Road, Haverstock Hill.