(click image to enlarge)
Albert Goodwin in Maidstone in 1871
Albert Goodwin remained attached to his birthplace of Maidstone in Kent, and often returned there both to visit his family and to paint. He was inevitably drawn to the impressive panorama that is laid out along the north bank of the River Medway and centres on the historic Archbishop’s Palace (dating to the fourteenth and sixteenth centuries) and All Saints Church (built in the late fourteenth century as part of the College of All Saints newly founded by Archbishop Courtenay). In 1871, he painted these two oils with slightly different emphases from the same viewpoint. The smaller one focuses on the palace, while the larger also takes in the impressive church. In 1885, Goodwin’s brother, Harry, would paint a more distant view, which shows that the land south of the river remained as fields.